Pages

April 20, 2015

Hong Kong



The family escaped to Hong Kong after Easter.  Because it's our first time all together, excitement was in the air.  After all these years and numerous visits, the diversity of HK never fails to still get me giddy too.

We stayed in Excelsior Hotel in Causeway Bay, a very convenient location.  Sadly, this affordable and comfortable hotel may be torn down soon and replaced by a commercial building.  It's sad. I've stayed here often over the past 10 years. 

The first meal was at nearby Crystal Jade, World Trade Center. The noodle soup is much less tasty now; a bit disappointing.  We still love their Xiao Long Bao. It's still delish. 




My children and I love Log-On which can be found at the Basement 1 of Times Square.  We can spend hours there, and still find reason to come back one more time before leaving HK. One reason is for their selection of pens. 

FRIXION heaven

and where to write on

ribbon printer...

...that can make these!


Another favorite nearby haunt is the Sogo Department Store. It's has something for everyone. 

FJALLRAVEN Kanken backpacks I couldn't resist.


And Sogo carries Godiva at the basement beside their Japanese grocery. 




They had great Easter goodies!



And since it's almost summertime, they offer ice cream. 


But the ice cream I cannot miss when in Sogo is Milk Top, just beside the basement escalator.



Best flavors are Fresh Milk and Cream Cheese.
My kids also love their home-made pudding. We brought home more to the hotel room to indulge in.



When in Causeway Bay, I always get my supply of preserved fruits and Chinese candies. And this is where I go. The Shanghai Yiu Fung Store. It's at 3 Foo Ming Street, very near Times Square. They have endless choices, and you can get a free taste while you choose.  This company is known as the 話梅王, best in preserved plum candies.  (http://www.yiufungstore.com/home.htm)



And what is Hong Kong without a trip to Disneyland!

Sadly, the Cinderella castle was "under renovation". 

But there many other Disney sights to enjoy.
















This trip, we ventured to Gordon Ramsay's Bread Street in Lan Kwai Fong. 
My friend had to book a reservation as early as February to get us seats. 



The place is chic casual and had a warm welcoming feel.


We ordered their Daily Roast which was my favorite - lamb.  It was cooked and seasoned just right and it was deliciously tender.  It's a big order, good for 2.

The Chicken Caesar was also very good. It had generous slices of cheese.

My daughter, who always prefers fish, loved their Pan-Fried Sea Bream.

And this is their big serving of Shepherd's Pie made with lamb, potatoes, and cheese.
It's good to enjoy with the bread they serve.


There were many other favorite haunts I missed to document, as I was very busy attending to my children on this trip.  Hopefully, I get a chance to go back soon.


P.S.
Due to popular requests, I am adding my best-loved Causeway Bay haunts to this post.

1. DELICIOUS KITCHEN 美味廚 is at Shop B Ground Floor, 9-11 Cleveland Street

This restaurant has been there since the 90's.  The favorite of locals and tourists alike is their pork rib steamed rice with vegetables 排骨菜飯! Very tender and tasty! And the vegetable rice that comes with it is really savory!  Also try the beef tendon variation. I like their sauteed bamboo shoots, too.

2. AEON grocery store is at nearby #9 Kingston Street.

It has good Japanese goodies and houses the Daiso Japan outlet. Daiso products are priced at HKD12 each!


3. OCEAN EMPIRE SHOP 海皇粥店 is at 15-23 Sugar Street (perpendicular to Yee Wo St).

Congee is the ultimate comfort food! I love it, and this old haunt is my favorite for congee and twisted doughnut 油條. They're very good together especially for breakfast or for a late night snack. I also find their fried turnip pudding in X. O. sauce delectable. 
They have several shops around HK. Check out their website www.oceanempire.com.hk .

4. HO HUNG KEE 何洪記 at the 12/F Hysan Place 500 Hennessy Road

This restaurant is rated 1 Michelin star. They are known for their wonton noodle soup and congee. A must-try also is their steamed fish head; it's very tasty! 
This location is more spacious and more new. And it doesn't hurt that Hysan Place houses Eslite at floors 8 to 10 (for books, stationery, and specialty food items).

5. TAI HING 太興 at the G/F Cigna Tower, 470-484 Jaffe Road

The best for roasts! My favorite is the roast goose with plum sauce. They also have char siew, soy chicken, and roast pork.  You can order a combination with the complete rice meal at affordable prices. Also try their sweet & sour pork and the chilled original milk tea.

6.  TSUI WAH RESTAURANT  翠華餐廳  at 483-499 Jaffe Road

Just across the street from Tai Hing is this long-time popular cha chaan teng (tea restaurant).  Cha chaan teng is popular all around HK, and they are known for their fast service, long hours, and affordable prices.  I recommend these:  milk tea with Holland's Black and White evaporated milk, crispy bun with condensed milk, hainanese chicken rice, and the fish balls with flat rice noodles in fish soup.  My mouth is watering as I write this!


Enjoy! 

2 comments: